Thursday 7 January 2021

Fall in the woods

I never claimed to be a good field biologist, and my photography is even crappier; but I try to maintain a sense of wonder at how wonderful the world is. In mid October, The Beloved gragged me up into the Sitka spruce plantation on the edge of our mountain because it was a good time for fungi. It was about the same time as I encountered three city-boys scanning the sheep-meadows for magic mushrooms. Well it was rather wonderful because I've often slagged sitka forests for being shady deserts and this adventure proved me wrong. Without trying too hard we found at least 14 different species of mushroom.

1,2

3,4:
5,6:
7,8:
9,10:
11,12:
13,14
Any mycologists out there could maybe ID these by name in the comments? Or better tell me something wonderful about how any of these unique organisms makes a living from the forest floor. 
The Mushroom is the Elf of Plants -
At Evening, it is not
At Morning, in a Truffled Hut
It stop opon a Spot

As if it tarried always
And yet it’s whole Career
Is shorter than a Snake’s Delay -
And fleeter than a Tare -
Emily Dickinson

No comments:

Post a Comment