- Interesting essay about keeping the lid on Armageddon in Kosovo 20 years ago. via MeFi whc has insider commenary.
- James Blunt strips off in a snowstorm to show his six-pack.
- Into the Mystic by Reina del Cid
- I speculated before about Who makes the luck? A 5 minute video-essay by Richard "Lucky" Wiseman.
- Real or fake? real or face: I was / am just plain hopeless [5/5 wronnnng] at distinguishing a photo of a real face compared to a photoshop gussy-up of a 'face'. More on how normal people can make this distinction at the site.
- Derren Brown on the perception of happiness. Citing Wiliam "Modern Stoic" Irvive he claims that most of what we desire and acquire are driven by a need to impress or outdo other people. If everyone but you disappeared would you choose to live in a house with 15 bedrooms?
- Nominative determinism [bloboprev]: the idea that you develop a career to fit your name. I am sorry to report that Lawrie Creamer, New Zealand's expert in milk protein is dead.
- The Song of Women by The Hu.
- Flight shaming, mentioned yesterday, explored at the BBC.
Sunday, 15 September 2019
Woo hoo it's Dau.II's happy bday today. But that's not all!