Monday 11 November 2019

Poppy time

I flagged Armistice Day, Remembrance Sunday yesterday; moving it to Sunday as they have done in Official Britain since I was a lad in the 1960s when everything stopped at 11am for two minutes of reflection (or fidgetting if you were 8 y.o. But since yest-morning I've come across two links about intolerance for people who choose not, or forget, to wear a poppy - in  Britain or Canada - so I've decided to schedule this note for 1100 GMT today. At 1102 you /we can go back to our daily 21stC grind.
I've had my say about bullying in the poppy place last year 2018 and in 2016 too. But I couldn't put it better than shoesfullofdust: I always took the advice of the local legion. You wear it on November 11th. They just want you to take one minute of one day to remember. Anything more, it becomes more about you than them. It becomes nostalgia. And sentiment. That's not what they wanted. Remembrance. Thoughtfulness. Gratitude. Get on with your day. Enjoy what you have because they saved that for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment