Friday 15 November 2019

Waistin' away, me

Almost exactly this time last year, I rocked up for a Health Check run by the 2nd Year students in Strecgth & Conditioning. As this is an annual event associated with Science Week, I went down to the concourse on Tuesday to get my height [176cm] , waist [80cm], weight [66.7kg], and blood pressure [117/75] measured. I took these raw data over to safefood.eu which said Your BMI is 21.6. Well done! Your BMI and waist circumference show that you are a healthy weight. This means that you are less likely to develop heart disease, type 2 diabetes and certain cancers. You are probably a healthy weight because you eat well and take regular exercise. It’s important to keep up these healthy habits. The "healthy range" for BMI is 18.5-25kg.m-2 so I am good to go despite never taking regular exercise.

For the second year in a row, I've lost another couple of kilos of lard from round my midsection since last year. At this rate,I'll be back to my birthweight before I turn 96! Not sure what is driving this weight loss. Could be cutting out the cup-cakes . . . a wasting disease . . . nematode load [R a liddle baby Ascaris hatching from its egg]. No more than for Mary Cain, weight-loss is certainly not helping me to run faster.

Now it is true that my cholesterol [HDL, LDL, good cholesterol and bad cholesterol; all of it] is high at 7.1 mmol/Lt. The threshold for "high" is 5.2, so this is clearly in to high range. But I'm not going to worry about it. If I take my worries to the Doc, he'll prescribe me statins. And the benefit of statins, though statistically significant, is a long way from being a miracle clean-up cure.


No comments:

Post a Comment