- No one can terrorize a whole nation, unless we are all his accomplices.
- . . . truth is the best propaganda and lies are the worst. To be persuasive we must be believable; to be believable we must be credible; to be credible we must be truthful
- We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty. When the loyal opposition dies, I think the soul of America dies with it.
- Anyone who isn't confused doesn't really understand the situation.
- The obscure we see eventually. The completely obvious, it seems, takes longer.
- Everyone is a prisoner of his own experiences. No one can eliminate prejudices — just recognize them.
Ed Murrow had huge street-cred and trustability. Nevertheless, it took a certain level of courage-of-conviction to take a set against the prevailing winds of US politics. He finally had enough of the witch-hunting and decided that he'd expose the Junior Senator from Wisconsin as a shallow, gross, vengeful ignoramus. Murrow quietly indicts McCarthy on the TV. After McCarthy has been given 30 minutes of air time to give balance [it's on youtube but I'm not going to make it easy for you to find], Ed Murrow wrapped up the case and threw it in the bin.
You may if you choose see how this piece reads
replacing every instance of communist with Muslim.