Monday 21 January 2019

I demand to have some booze

New Year's Day I was looking through our Christmas Hamper from Baskets Galore. As with the rest of Christmas fare, I scanned the sell-by dates and started on those goodies most nearly gorn-beyond.
 4 Luxury Mince Pies    with Brandy  (05 Jan 19) had to go down the hatch first. With the  Brandy   and all, I was careful not consume any of them if I was planning to drive.

But what is this? The declared ingredients:
Pastry (Butter (Milk), Flour (Wheat flour, Calcium, Iron, Niacin, Thiamin)), Sugar, Water)
Mince filling: (50%) (Apple, Sugar, Waxy Maize Starch, Water, Dextrose, Preservative [E202, E260], Mixed Spice (Coriander, Cinnamon, Ginger, Cloves), Caramel, (Glucose syrup), Dark Vine Fruit, Mixed Peel, Vegetable Suet (Non Hydrogenated Oils (Palm and Sunflower)
(Wheat flour, Calcium, Iron, Niacin, Thiamin))
contain a lot of sugar (Sugar, Sugar, Dextrose, Glucose Syrup) but not even a sniff of Brandy. E202 is potassium sorbate and E260 is acetic acid - neither being ethanol let alone brandy. Altrhough acetic acid [=vinegar] is a natural oxidation product of ethanol.

I demand to have some booze! [Withnail alert]
I've written, more in sorrow than in anger, to Baskets Galore and Ditty's Home Bakery, but after a full working week no answer is forthcoming.

I was on about the ToC of (unboozed) mince pies a little over a year ago

No comments:

Post a Comment