It was a welcome change to see a scientist talking science without a laboratory in the background. The books are all PhD theses, so the implication is that Dr Patel is standing on the shoulders of giants. and/or he's had a helluva lot of successful PhD students. And I'm sure that the writers of those weighty tomes will have a mini-frisson of self-recognition as a nett contributor. Next up was Ruth Jarrett talking about Hodgkins Lymphoma and Epstein-Barr Virus EBV [whc prev], which is a likely cause of that cancer. WTF? She's using the same damned string of books as Dr Patel by Dr Steinhauer and Dr Steinthorsdottir and so on:
The camera must be really heavy and hard to move, because the 2 videos were uploaded 4 days apart in 2015, or the producer is showing a want of imagination in ringing the changes. After that I checked out John McLauchlan another worker on HCV at the CVR; he has the World's biggest optical microscope behind him. Now could he be the author of the thesis by J MacLaughlan, outlined in pink just to the right of Prof Jarrett's chin? €5 says they're the same. All good fun an a wholly inconsequential way.
Two days later, the Numberphile channel released a longish video about artificial intelligence, logic and probability by Rob Miles. He's chosen to sit in front of a string of books as well:
. . . and a much more engaging shelf of books than a Lutheran bunch of 95 theses. I can see
- Consider Phlebas by [the late great] Iain M Banks, most excellent
- Sapiens. bestseller by Yuval Noah Harari. recommended to me by a woman from Leeuwarden when I was in the RDS last month
- Watching the English by Kate Fox
- Soonish by Weinersmith & Weinersmith
- Run Program by Scott Meyer
- Data and Goliath by Bruce Schneier
- A book by Richard Dawkins - probably The Ancestor's Tale.
one short film on youtube which had long ago slipped over my two-week event horizon. Check out the young now tax-payer [R]. But in the current context, rather check out the books:
- Nisa by Marjorie Shostak
- Mother Nature by Sarah Blaffer-Hrdy
- Seeds of Change by Henry Hobhouse
- Thee Tangled Wing by Mel Konner, husband of Shostak, and a person in his own right.