|Kill dose||Substance||Mol.Wt.||No. dead||Date|
|150 ng||Botox||150,000 Da||None?||NA|
|150 µg||Ricin||64,000 Da||One||07 Sep 1978|
|150 mg||Sarin||140 Da||300-2000||21 Aug 2013|
|150 g||Cricket ball||NA||2||07 Jul 2015|
|150 Kg||Propylene||42 Da||220||11 Jul 1978|
|150 Ton||Beer||18+ Da||16||14 Oct 1814|
|150 Ton||Crude Oil||50-500 Da?||37||05 Jul 2013|
|150 Ton||CO2||44 Da||1700||21 Aug 1986|
|150 Kiloton||Water||18 Da||16||02 Nov 1925|
- It is perhaps notable that the most efficient killers are enzymes. Tweaked and polished by evolution to carry out a biochemical task really really fast, they outstrip man-made chemical processes doing the same thing. That's why we use them in food and fermentation.
- Botox is a cocktail of toxins produced by Clostridium botulinum: it prevents vesicles full of neurotransmitter acetylcholine from leaving neurons at the neuromuscular junction: resulting in a flaccid paralysis. Its near relative Clostridium tetani makes a toxin, whose lethal dose is about 2x that of Botox, which prevents the secretion of the "anti-acetylcholine" neurotransmitter GABA: giving a spastic/tetanic paralysis. You have anti-tetanus injections if you have a deep and dirty cut, in order to mop up any tetanus toxin that's getting produced.
- Ricin is not so toxic as Polonium which was used to terminate Russian dissident Alexander Litvinenko Алекса́ндр Ва́льтерович Литвине́нко he was given a lethal dose of Polonium: like Georgi "Ricin" Markov the assassination was carried out in London.
- Cricket ball is about the same size and weight as a baseball or a sliotar. There was a famous 2014 case in Australia when Phillip Hughes taking a tonk from one of these missiles on the side of his [helmetted] head. It was captured on TV. The more recent date notes the death of Bavalan Pathmanathan in England who died after a cricket-ball blow to the chest.
- 150 tons is gratifyingly diverse in the variety of materials that will kill you. You might think that 'waking up dead' from CO2 poisoning would be a better way to go than burning to death in an oil BLEVE. But dying of carbon dioxide is rough enough; and only a stage Irishman would think that dhrowning in dhrink was dignified or pleasant.
- Molasses is sweeter, stickier and less lethal than beer - 400 tons per person sharing.
- I picked one particular dam-burst because the numbers fitted best with my go-up-by-1000x narrative. Vajont was much more efficient but also absolutely more lethal [dead = 2000]. And of course a few litres of water can drown a baby in a bath-tub.