In contrast to the children of the Prague Kindertransporten, the Pitcairn Islanders have not gone viral, with the population bombling along [between N=200 and N=40] on the lower edge of what makes a community sustainable. St Kilda was after all depopulated by the British government in 1930 when its population sank to 3 dozen and didn't show any sign of increasing. It needs several adult men to manage the surf-boats by which all supplies are landed. With 20/20 hindsight, in 2001 my botanical colleague might have thought twice about the advisability of abandoning a young woman in his care to several months alone in remoter valleys of this remote place. In 2004, a third of the adult males, all cousins, were convicted of shagging females of any age and any state of willingness or consanguinity. This despite that fact that everyone is a Seventh Day Adventist since a successful mission there in the 1890s.
The government of Pitcairn is now trying to recruit immigrants. But, no more than the Brits in 1939, they don't want any riff-raff. They will give you a free site to build a home . . . provided:
- you do build a house at an estimated cost of NZ$140,000 = US$95,000
- you can live on your money (you're not allowed to work locally)
- you're mad about diving
- you have at least NZ$30K in the bank
- you don't have any children under the age of 16
- you are prepared for a corvée building roads, cleaning toilets and rowing the goddam boat