Friday, 14 August 2026

Poppyseed

This summer is really coning on for The End Of Days. No rain at all for July, then a good bit of persistent drizzle on 3rd August but we're back to desertification for the 10 days since then. There is a hose-pipe ban for those who on the mains, but I believe it should apply to us for ther same reasons. If we lived in burbia, and water failed to come out of the taps, a national emergency would be declared and government water-bowsers would appear at the end of the street so that we could drink and b'il the spuds even if the jacks wouldn't flush. If our bore-hole runs dry The Man isn't going to send out a rescue swat team.

And . . . the well ran dry last Sunday! For he first time in 30 years. Because The Outdoor Man was watering the sheep and forgot to turn off the tap. I've done left outdoor tap running before but never so that the rising main in the kitchen dried up. Big red face, and the water came back after abut 20 minutes, but it shows how close to the edge we might be. The well is 30m deep with ⌀ 100mm. Therefore, standing volume (π.r2.len) = 230lt = ¼ tonne = 2x bathfuls. Although, even as we pump water out, it is usually cascading in through rock-fissures from the ground water. So flushing for a tinkle, or running a bath, or filling the kettle or all three together, is on demand sustainable. But not if the well is already only half full and there's a drought on.

In other news, the green beans are bearing - a good handful every day for the last week. They are yum, but that's not really enough to make freezing for Xmas sensible. The very misc tomatoes are just starting to bear fruit. Yesterday at lunch, we shared the first from var = blue pear which is black on top and red away from the petiole [see at foot]. It ugly but quite sweet and not very exciting.

I decided to harvest all the poppy seed. In the pic above left, it looks like something has severed the seed-head of maybe half the plants. I don't mind sharing my poppy-seed with field mice Apodemus sylvaticus but I'm not going to hand it all to them. Accordingly, in batches, I cut off the top ~10cm of stalk and shook them into a large white soup bowl as in previous years. It is usually necessary to snip of the top of the seed-case  with scissors. Took me about an hour and yielded 150g of seed. That costs about €2 at Tesco - why do I bother?? It is organic & local, I guess.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment