- Building roads at €5/m: plough, scrape, sift, spread, compact.
- Constructing dew ponds on chalk: cut, crush, compact, wet, compact
- Restoring La Acequia de Barjas en Cáñar in Andalucia: hand tools only, concrete a disaster
- Read Driving Over Lemons?
- Levadas curl round the contours of Madeira bringing water from there to here.
- Building waterproof shipping / transport canals required the use of puddle clay
- Sometimes you have to just shovel snow - may as well make a song and dance about it.
- Did you think the cranes and back-hoes at Oroville looked like lego toys?
- Thermals. The specific heat of water is about 10x that of steel: it takes 10x as much energy to increase the temperature of a gram of water by 1oC. With that in mind here's an interesting experiment setting 20kg of iron vs a lakeful of ice and seeing which will win in a race to the bottom. Your hypothesis here:_______. The sequel shows a chain-saw make short work of the ice and a well 'ard Finn jump in.
Sunday, 26 March 2017
Here's a few clips for engineers