Thursday 15 October 2015

Global Handwashing Day


That would be today.  I have my first Food and Fermentation Microbiology class this afternoon and I'll be wearing a badge with the official logo [L] on it on my sleeve to indicate that I am showing solidarity with The South where a million children die each year from infectious diarrhoea. The other big killers covered recently on The Blob are TB and malaria.The Handwashing experts reckon that running-death can be reduced my 25-50% if enough soap is distributed and used effectively at key times of the day.
If you work with students or youngsters you might mention the day that's in it: raising awareness of the troubles of the Third World can do no harm

Who dreams these Days up?  In this case it's not WHO, although it could be. In fact it is the Global Public-Private Partnership for Handwashing with Soap (PPPHW).  The fact that the sponsors include Unilever, Colgate-Palmolive and Proctor & Gamble shouldn't get in the way of the message.  It is also endorsed by UNICEF, USAID, the World Bank and the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. When I saw the wikipedia entry in the cold light of pre-dawn this morning
I misread it as:
as 1.1 ...
1.2 Arms
and thought that tomorrow might be designated All Over Wash Day.  But I'd be wrong, it is, for historical rather the PPP reasons, rather World Anaesthesia Day.  Every day is a Day!


No comments:

Post a Comment