Friday 19 July 2013

Flapjacks - the recipe

I've written before about bright yellow food-like products which taste mmmm so good, because food-engineers are highly qualified and really good at their job. But in order to achieve their magic they need a complex cocktail of ingredients.  I've extolled the virtue (aretê) of making your own bread at least partly because it has minimal ingredients, but as Jesus said "man shall not live by bread alone" (Matt 4:4).  Indeed not, for occasionally he shall be allowed Flapjacks.  These are my party piece when food is required.  When music is called for, I can play Suo Gân not very well on the tin-whistle.  My recipe comes from my mother who had it from hers.  I cut the sugar ('tis white p'ison) by half.  There's been too much chat on the blob about 100 this and 100 that.  This will make 44 flapjacks bigger than a petit four but not a gurt greedy slab.

Flapjacks
[Note for SI cooks (that's everyone except Americans and Brits over the age of 50) 1oz = 1 ounce = 28g.  Call it 25g for convenience]
Cast into a small saucepan and melt together:
  • 2 tbs Golden Syrup
  • 8oz Butter
Meanwhile measure:
  • 12oz Oat flakes
  • 6oz Sugar
  • 6oz Plain flour
  • Option for a shake of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, allspice to taste.
Mix in a bowl and then add the hot butter/syrup mix.
Spread in a swissroll tin (shallow, about A4 in size) and bake in a moderate oven (Gas Mark 4; 180oC; 350oF) until golden brown - you'll never get it to bright yellow, sorry.
You can add a handful of raisins or chopped glacé cherries or chopped nuts or even chocolate chips or little cubes of marzipan to gild the lily.  Or sunflower seeds?

Now don't be bothering me (or my granny) for the recipe again; it's here.

No comments:

Post a Comment