Monday 13 May 2013

Elders

I spent much of the day interviewing Mature Students.  They were none of them older than me, but they were all older than your average school leaver.  A third (!) of the people I interviewed today have been made redundant in the last 12 months.  This anecdote * 3 doesn't qualify as data, but it does suggest a recent slump in the economy; banks, telecoms and pharma were all letting my people go at the end of 2012.  Of course, they're not my people . . . yet.  But people who have managed euromillions (as in loadsa money, not the lotto), who have run departments, who have applied themselves to hard work for a decade or two - such folks bring something to the table.  They may not be 100% sure that they want a Cert in Pharmacy Tech, but they're certain-sure that they're not going to sit on the couch waiting for dole day.  So I look forward to meeting some of them again after the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment