Friday 22 December 2023

N [S P E etc.] plates

Since 1st Aug 2014, drivers are required to display N for novice plates on the car for two years after passing the test. There are other restrictions. RSA's "research tells us that novice drivers are most likely to be killed on our roads in the first two years after passing their test due to their inexperience". But I doubt if they have separated out young [male] drivers from drivers immediately after their test; because the overlap between these constituencies is very high.

I know that Dau.II is a more careful driver than me  . . . and for sure (for the next couple of months!) she knows the highway code and the meaning of the dozens of signs, some quite peculiar, that grace our roads.

Quiz. Please describe and define the difference between each pair of similar-looking signs! If you can't get 100% on this, I advise that you make and display on your car an S to indicate sign-ignorance.

Got any penalty points? That is evidence that you have displayed [reckless] disregard of the roads signs - I'm guessing that most penalty points are from speeding - all 6 of mine have been. Note I have long since "purged my contempt". I suggest that the public needs to know the deficiencies of such drivers' skill. Perhaps one P sign for every point? Points are never awarded as singletons, maybe as a concession the RSA will allow them to be displayed at half the size of L and N plates. You can bet there will be a lot more push-back from Jo Public on that one. It's much easier to Other and stigmatize absolute beginners.

And what about the dithery Olds?? [prev] Several years ago, my mother shared some news about one of her 80-something neighbours. This old dear had just deposited a car load of garden clippings at the recycling and compost centre. On leaving, she reversed at speed across the car-park and whannnnged into two other cars. The police were called. With commendable compassion and pragmatism, it was agreed that IF the neighbour turned in her driving licence THEN she would be spared an appearance in court. I felt a rush of empathy because the first time I, aged ?16?, was put behind the wheel of a car by my father, I contrived to reverse at speed across the car-park and whannnnged into a pile of roof-tiles breaking a few and the brake-light cover.

My current 10 year licence expires [5 months early] next June when I turn 70. Other road users need to know that someone with slow reactions, defective hearing and / or compromised sight is behind the wheel . . . to give us old buffers a bit more time, space and courtesy. I suggest E for Elder. Actually, maybe we can make it like pre-emptively declaring your pronouns on e-mail footers. If everyone displays a red letter on white sign according to their driving deficiencies, then the poor N for novices won't feel so stigmatized.

No comments:

Post a Comment