Wednesday 30 January 2013

Redemption by gel

Well I'm delirah!  My molecular biology class had to run some cut DNA down another agarose gel today.  After our disastrous foray in the world of gels two weeks ago, I was apprehensive. The conCSIeit was that some DNA had been found at/on/in a crime scene and DNA had also been obtained from five suspects: the cook, the butler, the husband, the lover and the nephew-who-will-inherit-everything.  Our team had to treat the DNA with a battery of restriction enzymes to break it up into unique small chunks that would 'uniquely' identify one of the suspects as The Perp.  As always where I work, there's never quite enough equipment, so there were several bottlenecks in the process and things got delayed.  The delay was made much worse by the fact that we (that is I - the buck stops with me) had loaded the gel-rig but not switched it on.  So by the time everything should have been running, or indfeed finished, the class was over.  Luckily I had a free hour immediately afterwards, so I was able to finish up for the class AND use another piece of kit to take a UV picture of the results.  And the pictures were fabulous or, more accurately, 3 out of 4 of them could be interpreted in the required way.  So I feel that, after an interval of some 25 years, I can finally add I can add "can run a gel-rig" to my CV. 

Note for sleuths; the left hand track is the Crime Scene, the others are suspects A,B,C,D,E

No comments:

Post a Comment